Thursday, September 28, 2006

Amelia's Ears Again

Well, I had a look through Marra's paper yesterday and was convinced by his study. He does use an extremely large sample size.

I've just got back from the doctor's practice. Essentially, Amelia does have an ear infection (how could she not have with all the pus oozing out of it?) and she has been prescribed antibiotics. I did ask whether it could be a viral infection (and hence antibiotics wouldn't be any good) and the doctor explained that if I had brought Amelia to see her when Amelia had only had it for 2/3 days then the doctor would have done nothing as she would have wanted to wait and see and would have asked me to come back after a week. She said that had it been viral it would certainly have improved by now. She continued by saying that as I had been sensible (!?) and had waited a week before bringing Amelia to the surgery, it was more than likely to be bacterial.

It is also possible that she has a perforated ear drum.

So, she has prescribedd, 100ml Amoxicillin 125mg/5ml SF to be taken, 5ml three times per day. It is a bright yellow liquid that smells of synthetic banana and needs to be kept refrigerated (I bet it stains!). Common side effects of amoxicillin include an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea.

A message to my future Amelia, should you ever read this and if you do end up suffering from asthma, I'm sorry I didn't manage to persuade the doctor not to give it to you. Sorry.

2 Comments:

At 3:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Presumeably you had mentioned your concerns about antibiotics for under 1 year olds, and had been persuaded. I think you have done the right thing, for what it's worth!

Love, yer ol man

 
At 11:10 pm, Blogger Arcy_Dee said...

Yes I did. I also mentioned that there was a history of asthma in the family which is why I was/am particularly concerned. The doctor's attitude was very much one of 'Yes, I understand your concerns, but she needs it!". I had every right to put down my foot and simply refuse it. But would that have been responsible? I don't know if there could be permanent consequences of a persistent ear infection, but Sheep did ask whether we could risk permanent damage to her ear against the possibility of developing childhood asthma. The doctor also said that it was a case of weighing one risk against another, which I agree with. This is something that happens frequently in parenting - with all the information 'out there' you constantly find yourself in a situation of having to make comparative risk assessments (e.g. vacinations). In the end, I made the decision and I'll have to live with the consequences, as will Amelia. If she has any future complaints, I can only say that I thought it was for the best at the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home